Friday, December 16, 2011

Giving Thanks, Part 3

So many things are floating around in my head right now. It's been a tough week and while I really do want to be thankful for all that God allows, it is becoming more of a challenge. But this is where the rubber meets the road, isn't it? The first 25 things I listed on my "thankful list" were pretty easy to come up with. The second 25 took a little more effort but was still manageable. But today? How do you thank the Lord when you are crying with your grown daughter at 2 in the morning? What do you say to another daughter when the doctor appointment didn't go as planned? How do I process my own feelings of grief over my failed marriage and still remain thankful? And how do I get my mind off myself and onto Christ, our Savior, as we celebrate His birth?

Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. Col. 3:12

I know that the answers lie in His Word and that is where I need to go. But to be honest, it is easier to just sit and ponder and be frustrated. Lame! I want to shake myself sometimes and tell myself to just suck it up. I am blessed - no matter what! This world is hard but it won't always be this way. Someday, we will live without sorrow or tears. Praise God! And so, with that in mind...

I am thankful for:

51.   the hope of an eternity in heaven.
52.   the success of my grandson, Asher's, surgery.
53.   being able to be available for my kids and grandkids.
54.   Rollo candies.
55.   my rheumatologist, Dr. Eibschutz.
56.   a day off.
57.   sunshine and rain.
58.   having the house all to myself.
59.   a chaotic household.
60.   baggy sweatshirts.
61.   always being able to trust in the Lord.

        "Those who know Your Name will trust in You, for You, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek You." (Psalm 9:10).

62.   my comfy, warm bed.
63.   flu shots.
64.   the greatness of God!

        "What does an all-sufficient God, who owns and controls all things, demand from the creature He has made? That we cease to be great in our own eyes and become small that He might appear great."  (John Piper)


65.   an affordable window washing service.
66.   God's grace.

        "Grace is God's riches at Christ's expense. Grace is the unmerited favor of God. Grace is God giving us what we cannot earn."  (Dr. Robert Jeffress)

67.   being chosen by God!
68.   the comic strip "Zits", my all-time favorite!
69.   growing up in a safe, child-friendly neighborhood.
70.   being born in America.
71.   the kindness of strangers.
        (like the two young men who helped me turn off my car horn. See "My Car" from 7/25/11 blog.)
72.   sitting outside around a fire talking in the dark with family and friends.
73.   wine.
74.   the ability to read.
75.   God's daily provision and that I don't go without.

1 comment:

  1. I love 58 and 59. I feel the same way I love the quiet when I can get it, but nothing is quite as fun as say having 15 4 year olds running around the house for a birthday party!

    ReplyDelete