Friday, August 26, 2011

My Crafty Morning

So this will not generally be a crafting blog. I leave that to the experts. But my daughter, Melissa, told me that blogging is all about me and I can do whatever I want with my blog so I thought I'd share what I accomplished this morning.

I found a summer dress on the clearance rack at Kohl's for $6.80. Here's how it started out...

It was missing the straps it was supposed to have and also had multiple places where the tiers had torn away from the tier above. Those rips were an easy fix and took me only about 5 minutes with my sewing machine. I love a bargain and this certainly qualified. However, this style of dress does not look so good on a chunky, short, almost 60 year old woman.

Here's the front view. I had to cut off the picture at the top because I was sewing in my P.J.'s and still had bedhead. The first problem is that there is just way too much old, white chest showing and also absolutely no security that this dress would even stay in place. The side view reveals another issue...

So not flattering. It was even worse in person. I sort of looked like Sarah, Abraham's wife, in the Bible - you know - pregnant at 90. My plan was to make the dress into a skirt. I simply folded the wide smocked part in half to the inside of the dress and pinned.


Then, I just sewed around the lower edge of the smocking, stretching the fabric just a bit as I sewed. The whole project took me maybe 1/2 hour and that included fixing the places on the skirt that had torn. And here is the finished skirt...


Sorry, the picture is a little dark. Anyway, I'm happy with it and it suits me much better. I never was one for putting the girls on display so making the dress into a skirt was perfect. And cheap! An added bonus is that the smocked waist is so comfortable to wear. If I ever get out of my P.J.'s today, I think I'll put it on.


1 comment:

  1. LOVE!!!! I love how you used the smocking instead of making a casing. I wouldn't have thought of that. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete