Saturday, September 13, 2014

The Pigeon

It was Thursday morning and I was looking forward to the day. My boss was taking a continuing ed course so I was off work! And I had plans. The Tuesday night Women's Bible Study that I have attended for many years had just started back up after the summer break. I was excited to dig into the new study. Then, I was intending to design, shop for, and maybe even start sewing the Quiet Book that I was going to give Arrow for his 2nd birthday. I'm a homebody at heart and I don't get bored at home so the day sounded perfect to me.

I had been sitting contentedly at my computer for only a few minutes. Suddenly, I heard a very loud commotion coming from my garage. I ran out to see what was going on. There was one of my cats, Lei Lei, chasing an extremely large pigeon. The bird was cowering under my car and Lei Lei was moving in. I'm not sure how she had even managed to bring down the bird because it clearly outweighed her. Anyway, I know pigeons are sort of like rats but I don't like death much and try to save whatever I can. When the cats bring home something that is obviously mortally wounded I let them have it. I figure it's kinder that way. But this pigeon, while injured, was definitely still very much alive. I could see that each leg was banded. One leg had a red band on it and the other had a numbered band. Maybe it was a famous homing pigeon!

Thus commenced the screaming that I employ when I am trying to separate a seasoned predator from its terrified prey. The screaming was followed by plenty of running around the garage. Eventually, I managed to grab Lei Lei and threw her in the house. The pigeon was crammed in a corner by the water softener. I took a breath. I was already sweating and tired. I grabbed a trash can and a broom that I kept in the garage and attempted to "sweep" Mr. P into the can. After only a few tries I had the bird contained. Now what? I was hoping that maybe it was just stunned a little by the previous excitement so I took him up behind my shop building, found some shade, and dumped him out. I was hoping he would rest, recover, and then fly away. Instead, he took shelter under an old truck of Donny's that was parked next to the shop. No problem. Good place to rest. I retreated to the house to give him his space.

About 15 minutes later, I tromped back up to the shop. I really wanted him to be gone. He was quite a pretty bird with very expressive eyes. I didn't want him looking at me again and saying, "Come on lady! Save me! I've got things to do." However, no such luck. He was still under the truck. In fact, he hadn't moved an inch. At that point, I ascertained that he could not get off the ground. I once again got the broom and trash can. This time, though, was much more difficult. With the truck for cover he simply walked from one end to the other with me, looking like a fool, poking at him with the end of the broom. Have I mentioned that it was 100 degrees? Finally! I managed to get him out from under the truck and then into my can. I plodded back to the house and decided that I needed to transport him to the bird E.R. I spotted my old cat carrier. Perfect! Only problem was that every time I tried to dispatch him into it he flared out his wings and then he didn't fit. I didn't want to injure him further but I figured I was his only hope so I threw caution to the wind and plopped him rather roughly inside the carrier. Done!



I put in a call to Pacific Wildlife Care  http://www.pacificwildlifecare.org/  in Morro Bay and they very nicely called me back within the hour. They would be happy to take my wayward pigeon but I would have to drive him over there. I had also posted a plea on Facebook but that wasn't productive. In fact, it generated a little bit of hate mail (you know who you are). I took a 2 minute shower (100 degrees, remember) and loaded up Mr. P into the back seat of my car. I cast a longing glance at my computer and Bible, still sitting on the desk, and headed out. It took me almost an hour to get to the Pacific Wildlife Care but it was a beautiful day and a beautiful drive so I put on some praise music and just enjoyed the spontaneous trip. I delivered Mr. P to his new caretakers. I have to say that we had bonded on the drive. I talked to him and he seemed to listen. He didn't fight being caged in the cat carrier (a double insult) and I was a bit disappointed to see him go. But I was glad he was in capable hands. The people at the center told me he was just a common Rock Pigeon and wasn't famous and a search for him was not underway. By the way, did you know that the pigeon is a monogamous bird? I'm just saying, if a pigeon can do it...

I went home via Atascadero where I did manage to shop at the Goodwill and Dollar Tree for Quiet Book accessories. Having left home suddenly at noon, I arrived back home at 6:00 p.m. Oh well. If you read my last post, you know that God seems to be teaching me a little bit about making plans and flexibility.

Now you know I can't stop at a simple pigeon rescue story although I realize it was pretty engrossing and had you on the edge of your seats. ;) I honestly do ponder stuff at random times, heavy stuff even. So here is what struck me about my pigeon incident...

1.   He was just a pigeon but I saved him anyway. He was a pretty pigeon, perhaps a talented pigeon, but a pigeon none the less. He needed help and so I gave it to him, sacrificing my day for him. You see where I'm going? I'm not remarkable. I have some talents but certainly nothing extraordinary. Yet God gave His Son for me and Jesus willingly sacrificed Himself to save me. Now that's remarkable!

2.   He was injured and he needed fixing but he was salvageable. We are also injured, disabled by the effects of sin in our lives. But we are recoverable. And God Himself, His Word, and the people He places in our paths are there, waiting for us. That pigeon wasn't going to be able to fix himself. Neither can we. Maybe the pigeon realized that I was his salvation and that's why he didn't fight to get out of the carrier. Oh, I am ashamed to think about how many times I fight God's work in my life.

3.   There are always cats hiding, waiting to pounce on some unsuspecting bird. My cats are well fed, they aren't starving. They often eat what they kill but they don't have to. It's instinct and sport. Likewise, Satan lies in wait for us and when we are vulnerable or not on guard, he makes his move. He deceives us, tempts us, harasses us, and sometimes disables us.

      I Cor. 16:13-14
            Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. Do everything in love.

      I Peter 5:8
            Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.

4.   It was a fight for me to get the cat away from the pigeon. But I was determined and not about to give up, even though it caused me to sweat (something I am hostile towards). Often, it's a fight to be extricated from the grip of whatever has ensnared us. But we are His and He never gives up!

      John 10:28-29
            I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of My Father's hand.

One last thought - once the pigeon is rehabilitated, he will be released and will once again fly free. No matter where we are in our rehab process, we are already and for always free when we belong to Jesus. Praise God!




No comments:

Post a Comment