Saturday, March 2, 2013

For Jenny

Tomorrow is Jenny's birthday. She is my second daughter. I remember how thrilled I was being a mother. Sarah, my first, filled my world. When I got pregnant with Jenny I was fearful. I couldn't imagine loving another child as much as I loved Sarah. I wondered how I could fit another one into my life without subtracting something from the first. But then sweet Jenny was born and I realized that as mothers, God gives us the capacity for unlimited love. Maybe it sounds silly now, to be afraid that I couldn't love enough, but I was a young mom and didn't know any better. All I wanted was to be the best wife and mother that I could be. Jenny was born  at 1:12 in the afternoon, 6 pounds, 9 ounces, 19 1/2 inches long, (yes, Jenny, I had to look that up ☺) with a full, uncontrollable head of hair. For months, her hair stuck straight up in a natural mohawk. When we took her out anywhere, that's all anyone commented on.



Her hair eventually settled down and she was a beautiful little girl. She was extremely shy and hated being the center of attention. For several years, she cried at her birthday parties or at Christmas when it was her turn to open presents. She would eventually relax but not while all eyes were on her.






Jenny developed a love for all animals. It started with Brandy, a half lab, half golden retriever, that we got when Jen was just a baby. She and Brandy were inseparable. In fact, the first year we had Brandy, every time I yelled at the puppy (because you know, puppies are a pain), Jenny would fall down crying because she thought I was yelling at her. Brandy lived a long and happy life. She made the move with us to Paso and lived to be 16 years old - the best dog we ever had.




Jenny managed to coax a stray cat home from the bus stop one day and convinced us to keep her. Snowball also lived a very long life and was so dear to Jen. Snowball was very patient - Jenny was known to put her in the basket of her two-wheeled bike and fly down the street with her.



Many other animals followed and all were loved. Jenny talked us into getting the infamous Dakota, a dog that was absolutely loyal but trouble from the get-go. Rabbits, turtles, and lots more cats filled our home and now  fill Jenny's own home.

Years flew by...




and then, she met the love of her life.


Jenny had trusted her life to Jesus when she was very young. And now, she knew that God had brought this young man, Zac Hanna, into her life. She met him while she was still in high school and they were working together at Big 5. They fell in love quickly and were engaged in 1999 and married June 17, 2000.



And the years continued to fly by. Seemingly, all of a sudden, my baby has four babies of her own! She is an amazing woman of God, wife, mother, teacher, seamstress, writer, photographer, gardener, homemaker, and now, not just my daughter, but my friend. I am so blessed by her! Happy Birthday, sweet Jenny! I love you so mush!*


*When Jenny was little, spelling was not her best subject. She wrote me many cards where she told me she, "loved me so mush."

3 comments:

  1. Awwww thanks Mom. I still love you so mush. ;) And thanks for giving birth to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, she is a special lady just like her mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie,
    What an absolutely wonderful gift! A treasure she can have forever! Even if you are the center of attention in this Jenny~ bet ya loved it! ;)
    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete