Thursday, October 20, 2011

Re-usable Grocery Bag Tutorial using a cat food bag

This is kind of a crazy post (really crazy) but I just thought it would be fun to try to make something out of one of those cat food bags that are so sturdy. Cat food, dog food, kitty litter, chicken feed, etc. are now coming in bags that aren't just paper. Some of them are sort of a webbed type plastic and they are very strong. So just for grins, I made a reusable grocery bag from a Purina cat food bag. Here's what I started with...


First, turn it inside out and sew across the bottom. I tried serging it also but my serger didn't like sewing on the plastic so I gave up that idea. By the way, the reason I had to sew across the bottom was because the cat food bag wasn't sealed at the bottom. It was simply folded up several times and taped.


Next, fold the bag so that you can sew triangles on the lower corners. This will make a box-type bottom for your bag.


Now sew straight across to form your triangle. When you're done with that, cut off the excess bag in the corner.


 Turn your bag right side out. You can see how it is beginning to shape up compared to my purchased bag.


Obviously, it's a bit too tall so we'll have to cut it down a bit.



Now, take the piece that you cut off the top and cut that in half. We're going to use one of the halves to make our handles.



Now take one of these strips and fold the raw edges together, overlap them in the middle, and sew a zig zag stitch all the way around. You should come out with a circle strip that you can cut in half so that you will have two straps.




Take the body of your bag, turn down the top edge about an inch and sew a zig zag stitch all the way around.


Now all that's left is to attach the straps.


Done! Now you might not think it's too pretty but hey, it's absolutely free! And these bags are made to carry a heavy load. They are kind of stiff so they are easier to fill at the store than some of the fabric bags that are so limp. Also, they are waterproof so they'd be great to keep in the car for beach trips, etc. No need to worry about keeping them nice. When they've served their purpose or get wrecked you can just throw them into your recycling.  I know - you're wondering why you didn't think of it!

10 comments:

  1. LOVE your tute mom! I'm going to link to it on my next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. did you use any specific type of thread? i've been saving cat food and chicken feed bags to do this and just realized i don't know what thread to use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just used regular thread and a regular needle but if I did it again I think I might try quilting thread and a large, blue jean size needle (a #18 I think). But it did work even with regular thread. Also, the actual opening in the top of the cat food bag wasn't all that large. I think I would try it with a larger sized bag too. I will say this - it is a strong bag. I've hauled wood in it. But my girls made fun of me and said they would be horrified if I carried it in public! :)

      Delete
    2. haha my name is Kristina, and I'm actually making my bag as i ..type? just stopped to check the directions and grab a marker. i literally JUST opened my machine so its my first project! so far so good! I'm making a few as Christmas gifts with cat food bags and chicken feed bags. thank you for the great tutorial!

      Delete
  3. So glad I peeked at this! I make the handles with purchased webbing but now I will use the rest of the bag for handles instead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe I've been throwing all my cat food bags (and dog food bags) away!!! I can't wait to start this project just as soon as I get off this computer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb, I had so much fun reading your post, I decided to look at a couple more! (I'm looking for info, cuz I wanted to write up a pattern for a non-english speaking group.) I see there's no comment allowed on your testimony, but I wanted you to know that it touches my heart. In more ways than one. I want to tell you God Bless You, to pray ""May the Lord Bless you and Keep you" prayer over you. And to tell you, that you are not alone......

    My circumstances are quite different, but I lost 12 people out of my life in around a years time. Most of them were family members who estranged me because I wasn't what they wanted me to be. I was very close to them, so the betrayals really hurt. (I've had a lifetime of toxic family members, so I've really had to develop a loving, strong backbone!) It is now 6 yrs later, but I still struggle with grief, depression, other health issues, and my faith in God. Grief takes a long time, especially after big betrayals. The other people I lost were friends and fellow church members, who didn't understand my grief. I find it hard to be consistent at church, because I see them, and know that they either didn't care, or judged me. I find it very hard to be in the Word. Having a strained relationship with God is so painful. I am seeing a counselor, and have gone thru some support with a grief group. My hope is that you are in a group, and/ or seeing a good counselor too. It takes a lot of courage to step forward every day after the betrayals that you've had. Let me tell you that I admire and respect every time you have gotten out of bed, gotten dressed, and faced your day, or hibernated and faced your grief. You are awesome! You and Jesus are enough. A faithful wife, which you were, even when imperfect, can never do Anything to cause their husband to stray and leave. I am also waiting for God to redeem this sad time in my life. Tho I am 60, we still have 2 teenagers at home. I am hoping God will give me a new direction by the time Empty Nest comes. It sounds like you have a gift in mentoring others! I pray God will open that door to you again!!! Much love to you, Sister in Christ. -Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been saving my Purina bags and was thinking yesterday I should do this. I keep recyclable bags for the grocery store and have been using my empty bags to toss my items to take to recycling. When I was young. We would cut plastic squares out of any detergent bottles, use a hole punch then sew together for a hat or flip it, line it and make a basket. I love to reuse, recycle.

    ReplyDelete